Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Farewell Tom Kat


I let him go on Sunday 2 May 2010. My beautiful boy passed over the rainbow bridge at around 11.20am. I had to walk away after giving him my final cuddle. Julia was fantastic and took the time to explain to hubby and my Dad the issues with his feet. He was basically walking on his pedal bone and the laminae was just not re-attaching, but she did say that what we had tried to do (barefoot) was a good thing. Tom knew the journey was over as when I lead him from the paddock and over the sharp stones, he didn't flinch as he usually does. He is a poem that my grazing owner gave to me.


If it should be, that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done
For this, the last battle, cannot be won.
You will be sad, I understand
Don’t let your grief then stay your hand,
For this day, more than the rest
Your love and friendship stand the test.
We’ve had so many happy years
What is to come can hold no fears,
You’d not want me to suffer so
When the time comes, please let me go.
Take me where my needs they’ll tend
Only stay with me till the end,
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know, in time you will see
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has swished
From pain and suffering I’ve been saved,
Don’t grieve it should be you
Who decides this thing to do.
We.ve been so close, we two these years
Don’t let your heart hold any tears.
Smile, for we walked together
For awhile.

No comments: