Friday, June 18, 2010

Falling off Kandy

I fell off Kandy tonight. It was a long way down and by far the worst fall to date. I ended up flat on my face and very winded. Kandy decided there was a monster in the trees and shied. I lost a stirrup and while trying to get it back ended up all over the place which freaked her out even more so she decided to try being a bucking bronco. Before this, we had a lovely ride, doing some nice trotting work and circles, getting ready for next weekends Dressage test. I hurt all over and she broke her bridle after taking off, doing some more impressively huge bucks. I don't think shes had anyone fall off before. I guess thats all part of riding. She's only young and has previously been turned out for the last four years, so I guess everything is new.

Despite the fall, I am pleased with how she is going, she is quite straight at a trot and I am becoming more confident with each ride. I even tried to canter tonight and we managed a few strides before resuming a trot. I need more space for the canter as were we were schooling was quite small and she does take a bit of pushing along to canter.

Ainsleigh rode Rusty at the same time which was also another experience for Kandy and she handled it very well. Although the ride ended badly, I am still achieving lots each time and Kandy is becoming softer and more responsive with each ride. I can use quite a loose rein and am starting to introduce trot-walk transitions.

We do need to work on her manners while I'm trying to mount. Tonight she was a right tart, even swing her rump in my direction while Ainsleigh was holding her. After a few firm telling offs and tap with the crop she soon got the message and stood sulking after I'd mounted, waiting for Ainsleigh and Rusty.

No comments: